Thursday, November 23, 2017

Liaquat Memorial Library, Karachi

Introduction:
National Library Karachi was established in 1950 under the Directorate of Archives and Libraries Pakistan with a modest beginning in the present office of Directorate General Culture, Block No. 76 of the Pakistan Secretariat at Karachi.

In a parallel development Liaquat Memorial Library (LML), was founded by voluntary contribution in commemoration of Liaquat Ali Khan’s services to the Nation. In 1953, Liaquat Memorial Library was granted the status of National Library. The books collection of National Library was moved from Block 76 to Shikarpur Panchayeti building close to Mereweather Tower, where LML existed. The new library was renamed as Liaquat National Library (LNL).

Meanwhile, proposal for construction of a new building was submitted in 1957 on the basis of which preliminary designs, prepared by Mr. A.A. Mirza, Senior Architect of Pakistan Public Works Department. Finally, the Economic Committee of the cabinet gave its approval at the estimated cost of Rs. 2.73 Million in September 1960. The design of the new building was finally approved and construction began in June 1969. In 1970 the new building became operational.

The LNL was originally intended to serve as National Library of Pakistan (NL). However, with the shifting of the capital from Karachi to Islamabad it was natural to establish a new National Library in the new capital. As a consequence, the LNL was reverted back to its original nomenclature i.e. Liaquat Memorial Library.

The administrative control of Liaquat Memorial Library remained with the Federal Government until February 28, 1986, when LML, was handed over to Culture Department of Government of Sindh. Since then LML remains as department’s flagship library.

Collection of Books and Periodicals
This library has a collection of 171,172 books in all, mainly in local languages, Arabic, English, other Oriental and European languages. There are 14,710 books for children. Annually approximately 2500 books added in this library.

Besides, 29 daily Newspapers and 36 periodicals in Sindhi, Urdu, English and Gujrati languages, including six (6) periodicals for children, are provided in the library for regular readers.

Facilities and Services
There are seven service points at the library. These include on big reading hall, a children section, one hall for newspapers / periodicals and an exclusive hall / section for students preparing for C.S.S. / P.C.S / other competitive examinations. Recently, Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto study corner has been added in the library. A standby Generator facility is available in the library to facilitate the readers / visitors during power load-shedding hours, which unfortunately is a regular feature in the country these days. Besides, one Auditorium with 300 seats / capacity serves the purpose for literary activities and programmes.

Visitors / Membership
Approximately 600-700 readers visit the library daily. All citizens are entitled to use the library facilities free of cost. However, the national ID (CNIC) is generally sought / checked off and on to ensure safety and security of the readers / visitors.

Timings / Off Days
The library timings are from 9.00 a.m. to 9.00 p.m. daily on all working days. The library remain closed on Sundays and other public holidays.

Contact Us

Culture, Tourism and Antiquities Department
7th Floor, New Sindh Secretariat Building No.1 Karachi
+92-21-99222885
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

E-Catalog

Scroll to top